Страницы

.

.

..

Q&A: New Bosch ascenta dishwasher door keeps popping open

  • Bosch dishwasher
    14 people are discussing the issue of use Bosch ascenta dishwasher. Maybe you will find a solution to your problem
1


  • New Bosch dishwasher door keeps popping open
    I've got a brand new Bosch Ascenta SHE3ARF6UC dishwasher, and the door keeps opening up during a cycle.

    If I stand there and hold it closed, it seems to run, but it pops open when I let go. Sometimes immediately, sometimes it will run for 15 minutes or so.

    Any ideas of what could be wrong?








  • 2
    I usually don't link to repair help but I'm not familiar with your new machine. My first thought is that the door hinges aren't straight. In the link it discusses the hinges as well as the plastic latch. I would think if the plastic latch is defective you would see it cracked.

    You may need to take advantage of factory service on this repair.





  • 1
    I can easily pull the door open during a cycle. Is that normal? Shouldn't it be locked shut, until you stop the run?







  • 3
    The door is not locked shut and it is normal to be able to open the door during a cycle. It is not normal for door to pop open or open easily.

    This sounds like a warranty issue. You said unit is new.

    You could make sure nothing is interfering with door, keeping it from closing fully. I would check the top mounting brackets, make sure they clear the top of the door. Also check the door side clearance and make sure unit is not wedged into opening or side rubber strips are not too tight against opening sides. Rubber strips, if too tight, might be pushing door outward.

    If the problem isn't obvious, I would call for warranty service.








  • 2
    The door is not locked but should require a little force to open.

    Did you have the unit delivered and installed ?







  • 1
    I had it delivered to my house, but I installed it myself.

    I've got a load running right now, but when it finishes I'll check again to see if anything obvious is blocking the door. Top mounting brackets clear the door easily, and side rubber strips fit easily into the sides, but I'll check again.

    A quick look around the web seems to indicate this is a common problem with Bosch dishwashers, albeit not brand new ones. Some people say this can happen if the washer is not level. It looks pretty level to me. How level does it have to be? And why would this make the door pop open?

    I guess I might have to call Lowes and have them bring another one.







  • 2
    It needs to be level so that the door closes evenly. If the frame is racked the door won't close properly.







  • 1
    What does "frame is racked" mean?

    I removed the mounting screws and pulled the dishwasher 2-3 inches out, so the door and frame were completely outside of the enclosure. Then the door shut and seemed to latch, so I moved the washer back in the enclosure and screwed it back in.

    I opened and shut the door a few times, and it seemed to latch each time. Then I ran an express wash, and it made it through the entire wash without popping open. I thought I fixed whatever was wrong, but when I tried to run another load, it wouldn't latch again!

    I can't see anything blocking it. I don't know why it worked for a while, and now it doesn't. Regardless, I called Lowes and they are going to exchange it for another one.

    I really can't figure out what is going wrong, but I'll let you know whatever happens with the new one.

    Thanks again for all your help.







  • 4
    Door not latching
    My door latched extremely well when I first got it but within two weeks it did not latch and it opened without that snap that was there at first.
    I found that the latch on top had bent the top of the washer so that the latch did not spring into the pocket in the top of the door.
    I put a wooden shim between the top of the dishwasher and the counter top which made the latch work again.
    Who would design a latch that was so strong as to bend the frame away and prevent the latch from working? I saw no installation details that said the top of the dishwasher had to be supported. The two clips on the front at the top that are screwed to the underside of the counter actually pull the roof away from the latch if the dishwasher is not jacked up enough, amazing.







  • 2
    Welcome to the forums.

    [QUOTE]The two clips on the front at the top that are screwed to the underside of the counter actually pull the roof away from the latch if the dishwasher is not jacked up enough, amazing.
    [/QUOTE]
    That is correct and not to be expected from a quality appliance like this machine. I've used spacers between the anti-tipover clips and the counter to reduce that problem.







  • 5
    I just bought one of these dishwashers earlier this month and I have been running into this issue as well.

    I also noticed that the top of the tub no longer has enough force to keep the latch closed. Bad design for sure. I also saw no indication that the top of the dishwasher has to be supported by something above to avoid this.

    I called Bosch and opened a ticket and they want to send a technician. I also called Best Buy and they are going to send a replacement unit on Sunday.

    Since it looks like this is a design flaw, I think I should cancel the delivery of the replacement, as well as the tech, and just work on filling in the space between the dishwasher and the counter top. Right now I have a piece of cardboard that is doing a great job.

    What do you guys think? Are most people that are happy with it installing it in a different way?










  • 5
    Ended up accepting the replacement delivery from Best Buy. I installed the new one by using a higher setting of the leveling legs so that the top is closer to the counter top and I think this will mitigate the flaw.

    I did find in the manual, under troubleshooting, an entry for this issue, and the only solution is to make sure the Dishwasher is level. The install guide should highlight this issue.







  • 6
    I got a brand new Bosch Ascenta May 22 that worked once just fine and then like everyone else's the door started popping open mid cycle. Thought it might have been the leveling, took it out, reinstalled it, no different. The sears technician that came out said it was the latch and ordered a new one, that didn't fix the problem. I warrantied it and got a brand new one of the exact same model and the saga repeated itself. It worked fine once and then the door wouldn't latch.
    I called Sears to warranty the newest one, and it will be another two weeks before a tech can come look at it, and then maybe they will replace it. In the meantime *4* up there hit it spot on (thank you!) and I have shimmed some wood in there and took out two screws and it's working again. I haven't cancelled the technician's scheduled visit, because I'm curious if this fix will last or if I should just get a refund while I still can and buy a different dishwasher altogether. Has anyone had one of these dishwashers work for any extended period of time?







  • 2
    Welcome to the forums.

    I can't help you directly as I haven't personally seen the problem. I was reading thru the reviews and trade news and I see that that dishwasher is rated for one half out of five stars. :eek:

    That is unheard of with name brand appliances.
    I would be contacting Bosch directly until I got a resolution.







  • 7
    Been holding off saying anything but I hate working on any bosch appliance. Always a problem.







  • 8
    Fixed it!
    As *4* posted above a wooden spacer/shim between the top of the dishwasher and counter seems to have resolved the problem.

    The top frame of the dishwasher doesn't seem stiff enough to latch the door and has too much give. By finding a proper piece of wood (I used a cut piece from an old fence picket) it provided enough to fill the gap and provide support to get an audible "click" when I close the door now. I never had that before I put the shim in.

    Definitely a design flaw. A new latch would not have helped. Overall the unit seems to do a good job with the exception of this.







  • 9
    I'm so grateful for this thread. Yes indeed. It appears to be a design flaw that the door does not latch. The top frame member of the dishwasher does not have sufficient stiffness. I also used a shim (two pieces of paint brush stir sticks) between the two top clips to provide addition stiffness. I positioned them between the dishwasher frame and the underside of the counter top. Works great. As long as the shim doesn't shift too much out of position, all should be good. Other than that, I love the dishwasher so far. Thanks do-it-yourself!







  • 10
    I have the same problem
    I have the same problem with my new dishwasher. I just spoke with my service tech from an authorized Bosch service center and apparently Bosch issued a service bulletin with a new part to be installed on all dishwashers with the plastic tubs. My dishwasher has a stainless steel door, stainless steel back and sides, but the tub itself is grey plastic. The problem occurs when the dishwasher heats up and the plastic tub begins to expand from the heat. The metal crossbar above the tub and latch is only about 8 inches long, and not long enough to provide the support needed to prevent the tub from expanding. You can take your finger and push up on the tub and it does not take much effort to flex the tub upwards. The new replacement part is a longer piece of metal to better support the plastic tub, so the door does not pop open. So I have to wait longer for the correct part to arrive. They have installed three of the new parts for customers and no complaints yet. I might try the shim solution above the dishwasher. I was using a wood stick between the dishwasher and opposite counter to hold the door closed. So yes, it is a design flaw and apparently Bosch figured out the problem.











  • 11
    Wash cycle when door pop opens
    I have the exact same problem, I'll try with a piece of wood this afternoon. Has anyone experienced the cycle not being able to complete or drain properly? I found that the dishwasher door popped open, I forced it closed again with 30 minutes left, and then it had 1 minute remaining and just hung out there for several minutes. The dishwasher never fully drained and I can't seem to clear the error message. I called Bosch but the lady never experienced it before and tried to walk me through resetting it but it wouldn't clear. I still have 1 minute left and water at the bottom of the tub. Any suggestions? I'm debating whether or not to call lowes and just pay the difference for a better and or different unit.







  • 12
    Bosch dishwasher latch problem
    Thanks for the tip on the wood shim. I bought a Bosch which was highly rated about 5 years ago, and I was pleased with its performance and cleaning power (though the soap dispenser pretty much quit working after a couple of years, and a crack appeared in the upper front plastic about the same time). I didn't have a latch problem the first 4-1/2 years, then it started. I've tried re-leveling, even unscrewing the anti-tip brackets at the top and re-setting them. I made sure it was completely square and level, but that didn't do the trick. I'll try the wood shim. I was ready to just buy a new DW (NOT a Bosch) and pitch this one, but it sounds like it may be an easy fix to a bad design issue.







  • 13
    Bosch dishwasher latch issue
    I had the same problem with our new Bosch dishwasher. Kept kicking off repeatedly during wash cycles. The tips here nailed it. Here's what I did:
    Went out to the garage and found a stick of wood that was about 3/4" thick 1-1/2" (1x2). Grabbed a saw and cut a triangle/shim shaped section off of one end, then cut straight across the leftover piece so I'd basically be left with two shims. I took both and put them through the space between the top of the dishwasher and bottom of countertop, then arranged them so they faced each other and I could push them toward each other until the opposing forces started pushing down on the top of the dishwasher a little. It didn't take much. The latch engaged after slight adjustment to the opposing shims, and now it won't kick open all the time. Would be easier to draw what I did, but basically I just combined two opposing shims, pushing one from the left and the other from the right to force the top of the dishwasher tub down slightly. You don't want to just stick a single shim in from the front, or it will be tough to trim off to the right length, and you'll see it afterward. Thanks!







  • 14
    I, too, was experiencing the same issue. My model number is SHX4AT75UC/21, but the symptom and cause is identical. I haven't seen any information on the fix so I wanted to share my experience in hopes that this may help others experiencing the issue.

    After reading a bunch of internet posts, I considered a block of wood to shim the space but decided to first put in a request for warranty service to get a more "official" answer. Lo and behold, the service technician shows up with a rigid metal bracket that screws right across the top and completely solves the problem. If your unit is under warranty, submit a service request via the Bosch web site and specify that the door pops open during cycles in the comments. It takes a few weeks for someone to come out, but it'll be taken care of for free.

    In case you're out of warranty, the part number on the box it came in is "00676467". It looks like you can order it here from sears for $6.49 plus shipping/tax.



    I see a different part # 678930 mentioned as "replacing" the other, but it appears that that is the one that originally comes with the unit. Part # 676467 extends the ENTIRE WIDTH of the top edge. I have no evidence of this, but my gut tells me -- based on current corporate trends in general (not just Bosch) -- that Bosch began using the shorter bracket to save money, and this lack of reinforcement is now causing the top to flex too much on recent models. The fix is to go back to the previous part that extended all the way across the top. I bought and self-installed a bosch dishwasher in my previous house in 2010, and I never experienced this issue AT ALL for the 3 years I used it. Thus, something in the design clearly changed which is now causing this issue.

  • 14
  • I almost forgot - Bosch actually calls the part "frame stiffener assembly". I guess that says it all, eh? You can buy direct from them if you prefer. $11.50 (plus shipping/tax)

    ( from http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electric-large-kitchen-home-appliances/print-547885-new-bosch-dishwasher-door-keeps-popping-open.html)